The first house of public entertainment in town was kept by John Child, near the Bullard Place. For forty years
Landlord Paul Davis kept tavern in the building on the summit of the hill overlooking Eagleville. Here was born his son,
Paul Davis, Jr., and his twelve children. Paul Jr. was connected with the state militia. He succeeded his father in
the office of Town Clerk and held it for 37 years. He was also treasurer, selectman, assessor and representative
to the General Court.
The old building was erected in 1763 and occupied as a tavern more than a hundred years. The house was kept by
three successive generations of the Abbott family except for two years when it was leased to Samuel Davis.
First kept by John Abbott from whom it passed to his son Capt. Lemuel Abott, whose son Major Chenery Abbott in turn
succeeded in the management. In 1843 the estate contained about 60 acres extending as far down the main street as
far as the present Bailey Road. The Abbott family was connected with many of the prominent families, the Chenerys, the Damons,
and the Davises.
In 1825 the large brick building on the corner of Maple and Main built by Lemuel Davis son of the Rev. Joseph Davis was
opened as a hotel by Amasa Howe under the name of the Central House. Squire Lemuel as he was called served the town
as Postmaster in 1826 1827and as selectman for five years. The building was used as a Community House for a
number of years when in July 1922, the Holden Masonic Club purchashed and it was know as the Holden Trowel Club.
Brick City or Eagleville Hotel and Eagle Lake House (now La Bussola)
Opened many years ago by John P. Maynard. Ethan Davis and Peter Winn were also managers. Established in 1812, it
is known today (1942) as the Eagle Lake House. Twice damaged by fire it is presently houses a restaurant.
Mt. Pleasant House
On the hill at the right as one passes through the village of Jefferson on the road to Rutland (Rte. 122A) stood
the historic brick house where Ethan Davis was born. Two brothers came here to work and one of them, James Prendergast,
especially love the fine old house and its surroundings and dreamed of some day calling it his own. His ambition
was realized and in 1888 he opened the Mt. Pleasant House with six guests.
The number increased yearly and from time to time additions were made to the hotel. Since the death of William
Prendergast in 1922, his widow Annie C. continued the business.
In 1872 John Rivers ppurchased from R.F. Leland an 80 acre farm located at the corner of Princeton Street and Elmwood
Avenue near the shore of Quinpoxet Lake. About 1900 Mr. and Mrs. Rivers opened the house for summer guests having
increased the number of rooms to 50 and a hall built for entertainments and dances. After the death of the parents the
business was carried on by a son, William, and a daughter, Annie, then by Annie alone until her death in 1932, then by
another brother George E. who sold it in 1938. It was for a time the home of James H. Fiske whose daughter Clara went
to Worcester daily by train for pipe organ practice so that she might qualify for the position as organist at the
Congregational Church. She served in that job for 25 years and was 5 years the organist at the Baptist Church. She
married Benn M. Chamberlain, son of Sumner Chamberlain, whose farm in the south part of Holden was take by the
Worcester Water Commission.
In 1902 Thomas F. Maguire of Boston built a large hotel on the west side of Kendall (then Dodd) Road on an elevation
that looked out over Eagle Lake. That hotel was destroyed by fire in 1904. Later near this location the Street Railway
Company operated a well-patronized toboggan slide down the hill and across Eagle Lake.
Located east of the Fitchburg railroad track in Jefferson, on the top of an attractive elevation long known as
"The Summit." It was a 45-room hotel and continued to receive patrons until 1925 when it was destroyed by fire.