The mills built by Asa and Ira Broad on Broad Street, later passed into the hands of William Howe and Martin V. B.
Jefferson, and from 1871 to 1877, were run by the firm of Howe, Jefferson and Austin.
Waldo E. Austin came to Holden in 1864, to work in the Broad mills, where he became a junior partner, later buying out
the interest of his partners, and using the mills as a basis for his business as a contractor and builder.
In addition to his business activities he served the town as Selectman, member of school committee, and as a member of
the board of trustees of Gale Free Library.
Source: Florence Newell Prouty, History of the Town of Holden, Massachusetts,
16671941 (Holden, Mass.: 200th Anniversary Committee for the Town of Holden, 1941), 167.