The water privilege at the junction of Salisbury and Main Streets, now called Dawson, had been used by Town Bartlett
as a candle-wicking mill, and afterwards as a wood-working shop. It was improved by Lyman Bryant, who came to town in 1827,
and for a short time was in partnership with James Cowden.
Mr. Bryant was an undertaker in Holden for more than 30 years and made coffins in his mill.
He was succeeded by his son, Frederick L. Bryant, who ran a planing and cider mill there until 1908, when it was purchased
by Frank C. Parker, who ran it until it was destroyed by fire in 1918.
Source: Florence Newell Prouty, History of the Town of Holden, Massachusetts,
16671941 (Holden, Mass.: 200th Anniversary Committee for the Town of Holden, 1941), 16162.