This village was also known as "Brick City," as for many years the only brick house in town was located there.
In 1806, Caleb Kendall, 2nd, with his young wife, Dolly (Sawyer) came to Holden and built a saw and grist-mill at
Eagleville which he operated until 1829, when it was sold to Samuel Clark, who erected a small factory there. This mill
was burned in 1834, but in the following year it was rebuilt, and enlarged. In 1840, it was owned by LeBaron Putnam, and
was run under the name of The Eagleville Manufacturing Company. It had at this time sixteen hundred spindles, and the
annual product amounted to two hundred and seventy-five thousand yards of shirting.
After the sale of the Eagleville mill, Caleb Kendall, 2nd, purchased a large farm, heavily timbered and erected a saw and
grist-mill on the present Kendall Road opposite the dam that formed the old Kendall Reservoir. The cellar hole of his home
which was near this mill may be seen today surrounded by lilac bushes planted there by Dolly Kendall.
In 1847, Edward, son of Caleb Kendall, 2nd, removed to Boston where he became one of the leaders of Cambridge industry.
Kendall Square, in Cambridge was named in his honor, and the high pressure boilers manufactured there were sold in all parts
of this country as well as in Turkey, China, and other far away countries. When he retired from business he built a beautiful
home on the hill overlooking the lake which covers the meadow which he had mowed as a boy. There the family resided for many
years, taking an active part in the church and community life.
In 1852, Luther Wright and Alfred Morse purchased the Eagleville property, and in 1860, Mr. Morse became the sole owner.
The trustees of his estate sold the property to Milton S. Morse, in 1874. He died in 1877, and the mill was run under the name
of Estate of Milton S. Morse until 1881, when the name of Holden Mills was adopted.
In 1888, the firm consisted of George M. Morse, Susand A. Monroe, and Stillman F. Morse, the last named taking charge of
the business until 1879.
In 1893, the property was purchased by the Jefferson Manufacturing Company.
In 1894, seventy hands were employed at the mill, and "twill goods" manufactured there, had the reputation of being the
best sold in the Providence Market.
Source: Florence Newell Prouty, History of the Town of Holden, Massachusetts,
16671941 (Holden, Mass.: 200th Anniversary Committee for the Town of Holden, 1941), 155156.