Deacon John Lovell, for many years previous to 1841, had run a machine for "custom carding" and a small mill for the
manufacturing of cotton batting, and Candle Wicking. In 1837, the mill contained six hundred spindles, twelve hands were
employed, and ten thousand pounds of warp, eight thousand pounds of batting, and twelve thousand pounds of wicking were
On Sunday, May 24, 1847, the mill and its contents were burned. At this time the mill was owned by David Parmenter, and
the machinery was owned and operated by Holbrook and Wilder. After some years the mill was rebuilt, and in 1873, it was
controlled by the Lovellville Manufacturing Company; in 1876, by Messenger and Wright, of New York; in 1879, by the Lovell
Woolen Company, under the management of Klebert and Findeisen, and in 1886, it was purchased by Cyrus G. Wood and run in
connection with his mill in Quinapoxet.
In May, 1916, a spark from a locomotive set a grass fire which spread so rapidly that before it could be checked, the
mills and five or six nearby houses were totally destroyed.
Source: Florence Newell Prouty, History of the Town of Holden, Massachusetts,
16671941 (Holden, Mass.: 200th Anniversary Committee for the Town of Holden, 1941), 163164.